Skip to main content

Day 89

As it turns out I was a little premature about the changing of the seasons –

Not only was today’s weather beautifully balmy but a few last Summer attractions were still open for business. On our way back from Taftsville, Darlene took us to the Quechee Market on Route 4 and we got to ride a replica of the Woodstock Railroad Train (twice) with whistle toots to warn the cars and bell dings to warn the people of our two carriage crossing their path. I admit, I didn’t expect this only about head high train to muster up as much speed as it did!

When Ethan spotted the horse carousel after disembarking, there was no stopping him. He sought out the tallest horse that he could find, asked me to help him hike up on to it and then shooed my hands away as if to say, “I’ve got this Mom.”

At long last, a horse ride – albeit of the plastic variety.

When the ride started, I felt him tense up and I reached over to support his stance. But it seemed that I had misread the situation… He was only tensing up as he gathered himself for the brightest beaming smile a boy has ever had! Round and round and round we went (ooh, getting dizzy…) up and down on the big brown horse. Jorja definitely looked the part too – sitting up straight with her hands on the reins. Funny how Ethan hadn’t selected a horse with a harness!

When he looked up and saw the rotating mechanism that fuelled the stallion, I saw his questioning expression but he must’ve thought to himself, “Whatever…I’m getting a horse ride!” because it didn’t wipe the smile off his face.

But when the ride ended…

He looked at me in disbelief. What now? Do we just get off and walk away? Oh no we don’t!
Ethan screamed blue murder, begging us to return to the carousel and ride the horse some more, all the way down Route 4, down the VA Cut off Road and on to Route 5 before we arrived at the farm in fact. He was having such a tantrum that I had to sit in the back between him and Jorja and act as a human 5-point harness restraint!

We arrived on the farm with ears ringing and exhausted but the stage was set for something much sunnier: a picnic braai on the hill.

Put together locally produced beef ribs, steaks and pork tenderloin marinaded in a sweet Sunday sauce, add a tressle table and some chairs on the tractor-pulled wagon, salads, potatoes, fruit and ice tea, why not some Frisbee throwing, Jeep exploring, hammock hanging, cattle gazing and sun tanning…and you’ve got yourself a pretty perfect picnic .








And to top it all off, an ice cream truck passed by for the first time in three months!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1