Skip to main content

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013.

Isla Grace Graham

I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom...

At first glance, I see relief. She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here.

Then I see comfort. The type that soothes a newborn's cries and lulls her to sleep. The type of ninja skill that I didn't know I possessed until I held my baby in my arms. Look at how Isla is nestling up into her Mom's neck - it's the safest place she knows (and quite frankly - the only place a Mom wants her bundle to be at this stage)!

And what about rest? Who knows how we still look picture perfect after labouring for hours on end? Okay to be fair - others more so than me. Both Mom and daughter gave a great effort and no doubt crave bodily rest... The only catch is that when the baby falls asleep, Mom will sit up watching the crib, wondering about the future and all that it has in store for this little one. The short answer is - there is no rest - not for our minds anyway!

I cling to the hope - and I can tell from this snap - that Tarrin already has for her little girl - to be bold, to be strong, to be courteous, to be kind, to be trustworthy, to be all that she was made to be (and more than we as parents could ever comprehend).

And the peace that passes all of our understanding, when we commit our child to God, when we thank Him for His grace that has carried us to this point and love unfailing, will remain with us all.

Welcome precious Isla Grace and may God bless you abundantly!

Jesus here's another child to hold...

Comments

  1. Beautiful! You have a way with words which touches all our hearts, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written... and something i look forward to...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ash. What an incredibly beautiful and inspiring start to Thursday morning for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Papu Comes to Visit 3

Since the last post we've had two more weeks of Papu visiting with us and then one very long week since we dropped him off at the airport. In mid-July we went to Burlington Airport en route to my final exam, and recreated what should have been his triumphant arrivals lounge experience in June. PJ took him to Lake Champlain and surrounds while they waited for me to complete the test and then treated me to "the test is done" lunch. We spent a rare hot afternoon at Silver Lake Park swimming with friends, we shopped 'til we dropped at The Vermont Spot, we were able to see the clean-up operations happening in flood-stricken Montpelier and even managed a quick stop at the Vermont State House.  We visited the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe and enjoyed Ben and Jerry's ice cream at their factory. We took a drive around my old VTC campus in Randolph and Gifford Medical Center where I practiced this past year. We drove through the Dartmouth campus and the Boat House on the Conn

Papu Comes to Visit

For the last 10 days we have been enjoying having Papu here with us so much that we completely forgot about the plan to post daily blog entries about his trip!  Yes, I considered this special visit the perfect reason to resurrect the blog and write more... Well, it turns out that when your Dad is visiting from overseas, you don't have much time for anything else besides trying to do 180924523093284 things, be in the moment, and take a photo of it! Here are a few photos of the first week-and-a-bit: Day one. The equivalent of driving to Plettenberg Bay I'm told! We experienced smooth open roads in some parts, midday congestion in and out of Boston, heavy downpour with flash flood warnings towards Burlington, and some interesting GPS navigation. But the passenger and his luggage reached us safely at the end of a long day. At last he was able to wrap his arms around Papu! Ethan and Adrienne arrived back from their trip to Lake George the day after Papu arrived and have been doing

Papu Comes to Visit 2

 It's been another 10 or so days of Papu in Vermont with us, and he's experienced more heat, severe flooding, Summer holiday camps, a long-awaited touristy activity, and many, many late dinners!  We returned safely from Plymouth VT just before mudslides, flooding and road erosion caused all major routes between there and home to be closed. It's been raining nonstop some days! The snack shack that we visited in Papu's first week suffered flooding similar to what they experienced in 2011's Hurricane Irene, and many more surrounding towns have been struggling to get on top of water diversion and mopping up efforts. We are fortunate to be safe and able to access necessities, and bar one wild drive in a thunderstorm last Thursday, we are trying to time outings around extreme weather forecasts. Of course, this means that we haven't been out much! Last Saturday, however, the sun was shining, and PJ took the crew into Boston for a bit of sightseeing. They visited Fenway