Skip to main content

Week 8

Hard to believe that another week has passed us by already. This morning, I watched our eldest, dressed from her neck to her ankles in a black cotton ensemble, paired faux leather pumps and her brother, barefoot in a too tight shorts and (I'm convinced, but he's not) pajamas vest, walk ahead of me on their way to Ma's house. When did they get so independent - and stylish?! Speaking of which, Baby was there too, bringing up the rear, in slacks, slops and toast in hand. I had never seen anyone more Parkwood looking this side of the Atlantic.

I silently berated myself for not having my camera with me. Now this was a memory I would've loved in the hardcopy photo album. Alas, I was trying to be ...present.

Yes, the kids have been having school with Ma this week as I get stuck into another project that requires some heavy lifting and helping to sort. It gives me four, labour intensive but slightly more adult hours in a day. I'm physically exhausted at the end of the day, but it's all well worth it for the sake of protecting my sanity. I know you may be thinking - it's homeschool, let them go with you and do some incidental learning! And I thank you for your efforts for continued learning... but nee.  







On Wednesday, I was on duty though. So we piled into the car and once closer to the location, did some all-African, hardly-American walking. Just teasing. Probably not ideal in hot and humid weather conditions, with a two-year old and her strapless slops, but we did it any way. At last we made it to the Lebanon Pet and Aquarium Centre. And while I'm sure that not many locals pop into the store to only view the fish, birds and hamsters without purchasing supplies...we did. In hindsight, maybe it was too big an undertaking given that I am just one unfit Mom trying to hang on to three boisterous kids on foot. A note for future reference...




On Sunday, Baby moved up to the older class at Sunday School and apparently really enjoyed it. I mean, we didn't get called! I think the other wild children and the wooden kitchen play set had something to do with the smooth transition. I am thankful! And then Dad made doughnuts.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1