Skip to main content

Jorja's First Day

Jorja's first day was...quite an experience. 

My new wake up time is 5am and I normally blink slowly until 5.30am, when my eyes have acclimatised to being open! At 6am I start rousing the children and normally I can never tell how well that's going to go down. Today, Jorja woke first and Ethan slept on. In fact, he slept through me blow drying my hair right next to his head!

Jorja asked for toast and tea, then changed her mind on the toast and had Frostie Flakes. Then when her dad forbid her from taking his travel mug to school with the tea in it, she declined the tea too.

After breakfast she got dressed and her Ma came to wish her well just before 7am. We left at 7.15am and hoped that we'd arrive at school by around 7.45am. In fact, we were going to try and drop Ethan first, but when we saw the non-moving traffic on Racecourse road, Jorja actually asked that we just drop her first because she didn't want to be late. 

We found a parking place somewhere down the school street and the four of us piled out of the car and walked towards the gate. Jorja was speed walking and PJ and I were dragging our feet just a little! 

Once inside the gate, she checked for her name on the class list, took off her jersey, hung up her bag and went to play. She greeted us goodbye from the jungle gym! At this point, PJ and I were feeling clueless. Were we doing our child a disservice by leaving before 8am - never mind joining in the Assembly and staying for the settling-in-class time? A couple of the veterans recommended that we do whatever worked for her...so we left. 

Sitting in traffic on our way to drop Ethan, we debated turning around - we debated past an accident, over a 4-way stop and another 5 minutes - and then we turned around and I literally jumped out of a moving car to go and see what Jorja was up to! 

The bell had rung by now and the kids were lined up. By the time I got closer, I realised that Jorja's class had already started filing into the hall for Assembly. I quickly asked one of the other parents if there had been any unruly shouting, crying or running in the direction of the gate, coming from the Grade RR class - no one had seen anything out of the ordinary.

I sent a message to PJ and Ethan sitting in the car and told them that I had decided to stay for Assembly. Sure, Jorja was being oh-so-independent...but this was her first Assembly. Ever. I was not going to miss it.

A few minutes into the meeting, I saw Jorja's shoulders sink and her head drop. I guess that's when the penny dropped.

She walked over to her Teacher, Miss Hewland, and buried her face in her skirt. I clenched every muscle - from my jaw to my glute - to stop myself from 1) crying and 2) running over to reassure my big girl that she was going to be okay. I almost couldn't bare to see her cry. In that moment, the cheekiness, clumsiness, bad attitude and testing of the morning at home fell away and I wanted her to know how much I cared for her.

Just now I'm thinking about my reaction to seeing Jorja in an uneasy situation. I'm a mere mortal - and yet I felt so overwhelmed with compassion for her. How much more doesn't our Heavenly Father love us despite our character flaws and failings? We are so blessed!

Jorja and I (from our different positions in the Hall) managed to make it through the Assembly without crumbling into a heap of turn back the clock and when I watched her file out with the rest of her class, I let out a sigh of relief. By the time I got to the gate, I looked back and saw her skip-walking in the quad as they congregated around their Teacher. 

We were all going to be okay.



From 11am I started counting down the minutes until I would fetch Jorja from school. PJ and I were beside ourselves with excitement - he even made me wait for him at the gate so that we could walk in together and give each other an equal chance of a warm reaction from the little Miss! She smiled, she did, and then she scrunched up her face and said, "But Mommy, I want to stay!"

That's great my girl - you'll be back tomorrow...

You know, for a Mom that loves to write and a Dad that loves to talk on the phone, I don't think we've done enough talking with Jorja about preparing her - who the principal is and what that means, how to look after her belongings and when to sit quietly without question. I must admit, her Teacher said it was 'challenging' today and again, admittedly, I felt disappointed. But who am I kidding? I was there - it was challenging for me too! Until I realised that I have nothing to be disappointed about. A real bummer would've been receiving a call from the principal on the first day of the academic year, asking me to fetch my child because she was screaming the roof down! 

She's fast asleep now and tomorrow we'll do it all again. I'll need all the grace I can get!

Comments

  1. What a powerful account of a mother's love. It brought back memories of Christopher's first day at Busy Bumble Bee and the pain of separation, especially for the first time.
    What a wonderful reminder, too, of our Father's love:
    'how deep the father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure ...ho great the pain of searing loss, the father turns his head away.As wounds which mar the Chosen One, bring many sons to glory'.
    Thank you Ash.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Papu Comes to Visit 3

Since the last post we've had two more weeks of Papu visiting with us and then one very long week since we dropped him off at the airport. In mid-July we went to Burlington Airport en route to my final exam, and recreated what should have been his triumphant arrivals lounge experience in June. PJ took him to Lake Champlain and surrounds while they waited for me to complete the test and then treated me to "the test is done" lunch. We spent a rare hot afternoon at Silver Lake Park swimming with friends, we shopped 'til we dropped at The Vermont Spot, we were able to see the clean-up operations happening in flood-stricken Montpelier and even managed a quick stop at the Vermont State House.  We visited the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe and enjoyed Ben and Jerry's ice cream at their factory. We took a drive around my old VTC campus in Randolph and Gifford Medical Center where I practiced this past year. We drove through the Dartmouth campus and the Boat House on the Conn

Papu Comes to Visit

For the last 10 days we have been enjoying having Papu here with us so much that we completely forgot about the plan to post daily blog entries about his trip!  Yes, I considered this special visit the perfect reason to resurrect the blog and write more... Well, it turns out that when your Dad is visiting from overseas, you don't have much time for anything else besides trying to do 180924523093284 things, be in the moment, and take a photo of it! Here are a few photos of the first week-and-a-bit: Day one. The equivalent of driving to Plettenberg Bay I'm told! We experienced smooth open roads in some parts, midday congestion in and out of Boston, heavy downpour with flash flood warnings towards Burlington, and some interesting GPS navigation. But the passenger and his luggage reached us safely at the end of a long day. At last he was able to wrap his arms around Papu! Ethan and Adrienne arrived back from their trip to Lake George the day after Papu arrived and have been doing

Papu Comes to Visit 2

 It's been another 10 or so days of Papu in Vermont with us, and he's experienced more heat, severe flooding, Summer holiday camps, a long-awaited touristy activity, and many, many late dinners!  We returned safely from Plymouth VT just before mudslides, flooding and road erosion caused all major routes between there and home to be closed. It's been raining nonstop some days! The snack shack that we visited in Papu's first week suffered flooding similar to what they experienced in 2011's Hurricane Irene, and many more surrounding towns have been struggling to get on top of water diversion and mopping up efforts. We are fortunate to be safe and able to access necessities, and bar one wild drive in a thunderstorm last Thursday, we are trying to time outings around extreme weather forecasts. Of course, this means that we haven't been out much! Last Saturday, however, the sun was shining, and PJ took the crew into Boston for a bit of sightseeing. They visited Fenway