Skip to main content

Summer 2019

Some lessons from our first 3 months (back) in Vermont, in no particular order:


It's Summer and there is the occasional thunderstorm. Maybe I forgot what heavy rain looked like, after the drought in Cape Town, but they sure do supersize them raindrops here in the States! In the end, we're left with puddles and mud. Now if you have or know anyone between the ages of 2 - 4 years, you'll know that "when you jump in muddy puddles, you must wear your ....boots!" Adrienne is very good about wearing her boots - any day, to anywhere, in any weather. Poor feet! But she is especially good about burying her hands in wet mud and dry sand. And she can do it for ages without feeling fussed and without having that short attention span, like kids do with almost everything else! I used to have to turn away so that it wouldn't affect me. I've learnt: Let them play in the dirt. We have soap.



I'm the one with the lists. I'm the one who will say, "I can work in a team" even when I prefer to work alone. I'm the one who will refold the laundry if it isn't quite right. Who's sad when the petrol gauge drops or new shoes get skuffed. Homeschooling 3 children under 11 years old, in a foreign country was like a bad kind of home run! Early in our time here last year already, I realised that I needed help.  I've learnt: I need loads of help. Ma and PJ stepped in to take on the bulk of the schooling so that I didn't completely ruin my children's formative years, and they thrived! I look at my classmates at college this past semester, I've met full time students, part time students with 1 or 2 part time jobs, studying qualified nurses, high school students doing extra credit college work, students with young babies at home, students who drive from an hour away to attend class... It blows my mind that I felt so under pressure to get through the coursework, and I didn't have nearly as many (or high) obstacles as these people. I am so grateful for all the hands here (and listening ears back home) that help me in so many ways, every day.



A few weeks ago, Jorja decided that she likes to run. She ran to the ball field from our house. She ran around the farm and she even ran up to the farm one night. She runs before eating, she runs after eating...and then she asked me to join her for a run at 6am in the mornings! Clever girl, this one. She asks me if I'll join her - so I'm thinking: time with her, exercise, chats, escape from the other two, enjoy great summer early mornings and I can encourage this new found hobby... The only catch is that I am the one with the alarm and the responsibility is on me to get up and wake her! We don't go out on a Saturday morning and we've been rained out twice since we started. Ethan has joined us twice. On his bike! And what has been the biggest noticeable change since we started? My jeans fits less snugly? My skin is glowing? No! It's that I can't reach my shoe laces with ease any more...well, until much later in the morning at least! I've learnt: I am getting older. And well, what exactly are we waiting for?



In the sneaky way that social media works, the fact that I have been following up on some stories in South African news, means that most of my ads, feeds and posts are about the devastating crimes against humanity in SA and similar stories like it around the world. I am saddened by the news, I am distressed to hear people speak of my homeland with fear and disdain. I am disturbed that for all the good and hopeful and lovely that we have, the media only wants to highlight that mankind is inherently bad, in need of a Saviour. And this all on top of the fact that I miss this home - my home - my extended family, my familiarity. I've learnt: It's okay to miss a less-than-perfect place. I am concerned for people there, as I am here, in England, in Singapore, in New Zealand and in Brazil. I joked about finishing up my final exams a day early, in case Ma's air ticket to SA suddenly became available. But was I really joking? Was I?  




My first day of 'school holiday' felt strange. What time did I have to leave for class again? Did I have homework due? Hard to believe that a 12 week semester had established a new routine in me. Between the Canada Lynx, External Data in Access, Basal Cell Carcinoma and Venn Diagrams, I had a whole bunch of new knowledge! I've learnt: You're never too old to learn something new. I didn't imagine becoming a student again would be quite as enjoyable, and rewarding. The pressure is real. The late night studying and snacking is real. The sacrifices are real. But the results are encouraging! And I'm hoping that the upcoming season for learning (for us all) will be a satisfactory challenge with huge opportunity for growth, producing good life-long habits and progress.



And lastly, I've learnt: I can survive a week without cake. (Not to say that I will always or ever want to!)




Comments

  1. But we must have cake sometimes! Welcome back to the blog! And the jog?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Papu Comes to Visit 3

Since the last post we've had two more weeks of Papu visiting with us and then one very long week since we dropped him off at the airport. In mid-July we went to Burlington Airport en route to my final exam, and recreated what should have been his triumphant arrivals lounge experience in June. PJ took him to Lake Champlain and surrounds while they waited for me to complete the test and then treated me to "the test is done" lunch. We spent a rare hot afternoon at Silver Lake Park swimming with friends, we shopped 'til we dropped at The Vermont Spot, we were able to see the clean-up operations happening in flood-stricken Montpelier and even managed a quick stop at the Vermont State House.  We visited the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe and enjoyed Ben and Jerry's ice cream at their factory. We took a drive around my old VTC campus in Randolph and Gifford Medical Center where I practiced this past year. We drove through the Dartmouth campus and the Boat House on the Conn

Papu Comes to Visit

For the last 10 days we have been enjoying having Papu here with us so much that we completely forgot about the plan to post daily blog entries about his trip!  Yes, I considered this special visit the perfect reason to resurrect the blog and write more... Well, it turns out that when your Dad is visiting from overseas, you don't have much time for anything else besides trying to do 180924523093284 things, be in the moment, and take a photo of it! Here are a few photos of the first week-and-a-bit: Day one. The equivalent of driving to Plettenberg Bay I'm told! We experienced smooth open roads in some parts, midday congestion in and out of Boston, heavy downpour with flash flood warnings towards Burlington, and some interesting GPS navigation. But the passenger and his luggage reached us safely at the end of a long day. At last he was able to wrap his arms around Papu! Ethan and Adrienne arrived back from their trip to Lake George the day after Papu arrived and have been doing

Papu Comes to Visit 2

 It's been another 10 or so days of Papu in Vermont with us, and he's experienced more heat, severe flooding, Summer holiday camps, a long-awaited touristy activity, and many, many late dinners!  We returned safely from Plymouth VT just before mudslides, flooding and road erosion caused all major routes between there and home to be closed. It's been raining nonstop some days! The snack shack that we visited in Papu's first week suffered flooding similar to what they experienced in 2011's Hurricane Irene, and many more surrounding towns have been struggling to get on top of water diversion and mopping up efforts. We are fortunate to be safe and able to access necessities, and bar one wild drive in a thunderstorm last Thursday, we are trying to time outings around extreme weather forecasts. Of course, this means that we haven't been out much! Last Saturday, however, the sun was shining, and PJ took the crew into Boston for a bit of sightseeing. They visited Fenway