Skip to main content

Week 18

This Thursday marked 18 weeks State-side! I had to do a count (and recount, and count again) to check that I hadn't completely lost track in my semi-hibernative state!  The cold temperatures and early sunsets plus the heavy snowfall this past week can really tempt us into retreat and confuse our days and times.

Meet Baby's new toy doll, "Baby".
I have children that I enjoy playing with dolls. Fancy that?? Dressing them up and carrying them around, but mostly trying different hairstyles and inviting them to take a swim at bath time. Ya-aaaa-aaay... A family from Church gifted a beautiful doll to Baby last week. She comes with long brown hair, a soft cashmere sweater and a pink glitter skirt. I definitely could not have styled her better myself! Baby was beside herself to receive it and promptly named her, "Baby". To be fair, the dog was first "Dog" too.



Snowfall!
We woke up to a Winter Wonderland on Tuesday. The kids said that it felt as if they were in a snow globe. We made it to Story Hour with no trouble but were glad to be back inside at home for the rest of the day. On Wednesday and Thursday it turned to slush and then iced over (very happy not to be driving sliding around then) and on Friday it came down heavily again. THIS time we were ready for it, and the kids were only too happy to venture out and build that inaugural snowman of the - premature - season! The locals will tell you, Winter's come early just for us!






Jesse Tree Project craft day
Last Saturday I spent the entire day crafting with ladies at our church. The mission: create 2500 ornaments for the Jesse Tree Project. I arrived just before 9am to find tables set out all around the hall with directional signs saying "If you like to paint" or "If you can thread a ribbon" or "Are you happy to play with glue and possibly get your fingers burnt?". There really was something for everyone (that was willing to craft). I was heading towards one of the simpler tables, when the leader of the Jacob's Ladder table made eye contact and well, that was that. We made 100 ladders before I moved on to miniature writing pads (and tiny pencils made from carved toothpicks) and then finally bedazzled crowns with hand twisted shepherd's hooks on the end. We stopped only to eat (of course) and correct our posture. "The Jesse Tree ornaments show Jesus' lineage and God's redemptive story from Creation to our celebration of His birth at Christmas, through 25 ornaments." The gift packs will be given out at a special tea at the end of this month. I can't wait to see them all!



Preparing for Thanksgiving
We found E setting sail in the Mayflower, having fashioned the boat out of a cardboard box and written down all the facts that he could remember from the First Thanksgiving. Ma has been reading the stories to the children and they've been creating all sorts of colourful crafts including a stick turkey and various hanging crafts. We will display them ALL on Thursday and take a photo before permanently packing them away, with respect.






Kentucky Derby Pie
Around this time of year, the ladies at Church are talking pie! Pumpkin is a firm favourite, while others prefer pecan, which J pronounces "pee-kahn" to the delight of the locals. Then along came a lady that declared Kentucky Derby Pie as the best pie to try! It's pecan nut pie with chocolate chips. Have you ever? Well, to prove just how delicious we would all find it, she brought some to Bible Study on Thursday ...and left with an empty pie dish. Yum!


Comments

  1. Oh the good life! And the good food! And someone who loves playing with dolls! 😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1