Skip to main content

June Catch Up

Two weeks ago, I started a post about the kids having to be partners in sickness and in health...

Our shelf was lined with cough syrup, nasal spray, pain and fever medication, eye drops, lip balm, menthol rub and tissues. They were down and out! I was going to write about the sometimes forced but special connection between siblings - close enough to get you sick and then stuck with you til you get better.

 ...And before I knew it, we were approaching Father's Day and P-J was sacrificing his expectations (and his bed) to tend to his two sickly kids. I was in awe of his patience and care, even staying home from work with both of them one day to aid their recovery and keeping his cool while they moaned and nagged between sweaty naps, mixed appetites and the every day demands of a sick kid times two.

But before I could celebrate having the focus off of Father's Day (and the gift), P-J was down with the bug himself and needed much more than a prettily wrapped present to make him feel better. We made the executive decision to move everyone into the big bed, with the meds, a large supply of tissues and the tv for the weekend. It wasn't the best scenario, but it was pretty awesome in a different kind of way. Happy Father's Day!

There's some trouble with uploading the photos to go with this post, but let's face it: what's so nice to see about 2 sick kids, their folks and a low key long weekend?!

Just had to get us kind of up to date before the new week starts... From Tuesday, we'll be using this platform to document our new season!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1