Skip to main content

Out of Town

For the last two nights, I've been in Johannesburg for work...

I haven't seen these reddish-brown, wind-less hills for about 3 years and on the first day, I hid in my room if I didn't need to be outside.

By the second day, though, I was feeling braver and as we turned on to Grayston Drive, the rusty pieces of mental GPS fell into place - Benmore Gardens, The Michelangelo, Nelson Mandela Square and the McDonalds on the corner!

When we passed the City Lodge, I remembered my time as PJ's assistant as he fed the Miss SA contestants of 2008 - newly pregnant with Jorja, tired, with limited knife skills - but donning a loaner chef jacket with pride!

Aaah...family...

I have missed them this week. It's so quiet when you're on your own - at night, I had to put my phone on silent, because it seemed too loud!

Turns out, when you have the space on the bed, 4 pillows to yourself, the tv remote in your hand, a buffet breakfast on offer and a daily turn down service, you suddenly crave a Queen size shared with 3 other bodies, a pillow by luck of the draw and the comfort of home!

And yet, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here - to work and to collect my thoughts while tucked away in room 347.

What's more, I look forward to taking my maiden trip on the Gautrain today...

Would I do it again? Sure!

Will I go volunteering for out of Town trips all by myself? I don't think so!


Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1