Skip to main content

Back to School

And just like that, the Summer holiday is over. After we had labelled stationery and packed the bags, gone to the dentist and found matching socks, I needed a loooooong nap - almost as long as my self-inflicted To Do list... The waiting has just a few more hours to last and then we'll be off to our first day of school!

I feel nervous.
Very nervous.
While attending school is not new to these three, joining classes on this side of the world, will be. For starters, I even had to google some of the items on the supply list! In all of the (combined) time that we've spent here, we've never done this. So there are questions and unknowns and a few insecurities. To our relief, there are just two days of school before the weekend...so anything that we've misunderstood, we can hopefully fix before the new week!

I feel grateful.
Very grateful.
I drove past the school a few times in last year. And then I said out loud, "If we make it back here, I'd like our children to attend this school." Crazy talk, I thought. Well, here we are. I am so grateful!

I feel sad.
Quite sad.
It's the end of our short(ish) homeschooling stint. Before these children were born, I imagined homeschooling them. Well, 12 months after doing it with 3 kids over 2 countries - I have had just a teensy taste of the good, the bad, the rough, the real and the wonder of homeschooling.

I feel excited.
So excited.
I'm not just talking about my ridiculous appreciation for new stationery and neatly paired socks. I'm thinking about my children moving into a this space to learn and grow, take instruction from other (well trained, not me) teachers and challenge themselves, meet new people and hopefully form good friendships. So maybe we sound a little strange and write our dates out differently, I am looking forward to seeing them crush this (in all the right ways, of course)!


Comments

  1. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–They are and will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are and will be blessed! πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1