Skip to main content

London-Paris 2017

Travel Day - 17 July


With just 20 minutes until take off, I'm juggling feelings of excitement, exhaustion and trying my best to navigate the lump in my throat.


I'm so used to walking the halls with no less than 2 extra people and at least a couple more bags, that I felt like a proper lost fart in a perfume shop. This time I could mosey on down from the check in, through passport control and onto the plane in one swoop all without breaking a sweat or even uttering a Mommy word. I found myself greeting anyone who made eye contact, just to feel normal again! 


I'm seated between a youngster,  donning shorts in a icy cold Cape winter wind (handing his blanket back to the cabin crew, nogal) and a Gogo donning a full length fur coat! I must be the Equator. 


The kids have tested my tear duct hold strength, sending voice notes of love and well wishes. I'm wondering how they'll sleep tonight and how they might grow in 2 weeks. I have never been away from them for so long and I'm freaking out a little about school runs, bath time, laundry, groceries and just missing out on family life. 


My husband never ceases to amaze me! He's helped me prepare for this trip without prompting or grudge - (but wouldn't mind a GoPro Hero 5 - black with all accessories - or a drone!!) He's kept me calm and encouraged me as I settle into this new role. All the while, keeping the kids in check, laughing and well fed. 


I am truly blessed and can only imagine how much I will miss my family and home over these next 14 days. 


In approximately 12 hours I'll touch down in the U.K. and hit event mode, running. I'm going to use this platform to document this amazing opportunity. Enjoy! 

Comments

  1. God speed and safe travels! And your family will be fine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1