Skip to main content

Taking the time

Out of sheer curiosity (Google, the schedule and) I did a tally today. I counted just over fifteen weeks that I've been based at home. That's about two thousand five hundred and twenty hours. Or one hundred and five days. See where I'm going with this?

And in all this time I haven't blogged. Not once. I find this very frustrating!

I've spent a lot of time thinking, spent time waiting for the washing cycle to finish, watching movies, the rain fall and the news reports, there's been time spent boiling the kettle for copious cups of tea, writing and re-writing to do lists, filling the calendar with celebrations, errands and countdowns ...and also getting (some) sleep.

It would be rude of me to not mention - on a new line - that we *have* been getting *some* sleep, giving credit to the days when things run brady-bunch smoothly.

And in all this time I have tried to be productive, tried to be progressive, tried to get organised, tried to be and look orderly but ultimately, I've just tried to stay afloat.

'Cos ain't nobody got time for a crazy lady!

Turns out that this time can also leave one feeling quite lonely... Craving company, human interaction in person or online.

I mean: What is the obsession with crowds rushing en masse in your direction in the early days (of any life-changing event), when we are truly fine, running on adrenalin / euphoria / love and fresh air... but missing in action when we could really use the company?

In addition, I don't know where this post is headed to or what point I'm hoping to make. Fail.

Come to think of it, I don't even know if I want to keep publishing my family life on the world wide web. Double fail. And I definitely don't want my kids to see me on my phone (hello mobile blogger feature) too often... Epic fail.

But oh I love to write.

Aaaaaargh!

The pirate in me emerges and I'm thinking "if only I could put so much gees into my quest to get fit!"

Maybe it's time for a change.

Can't be the hair - pony tail status is almost in my reach.

So I'll move my bedroom pieces around a bit. Husband says he will use GPS service to find his way, failing which will settle in the passage until dawn breaks. Ha ha. In this ice box? I think not.

Maybe my focus of the blog will change so that I don't have to hold a mental board meeting about what's okay to write about?

I don't know - let it be tomorrow's quest. This has already used up quite a bit of time. Ai, the irony.

Comments

  1. And so the great life questions continue.......should I ......? Enjoy every minute, regardless. Before you know it the children will all be grown up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1