Skip to main content

Let your ears be more weary than your mouth

My daughter talks a lot. She probably likes to talk as much as I like to write. And that's a lot.

I suppose she learnt to talk this much from me. And I noticed, growing up, that my Mom talks a lot too. And she, well, she learnt that art from her Mother!

Today, Jorja experienced this talk-a-thon first hand. Initially, she may have 'fought' back, but once she realised that there was no contest for my Grandmother's gift of the gab, she resigned herself to a nap. In fact: I'm told that Jorja asked if she may be excused so that she could go and nap.

Her ears were tired.

Often, there is so much noise in our physical space and also in our minds, that we have difficulty finding quietness - outside and within.

It doesn't take much to get caught up in the busyness of life - work commitments, social gatherings, kid's invitationals, hobbies... Just a few ways to make a helluva noise and steer from the simple!

A noisy frame of mind can lead to an untidy house, or a neglected friendship; a bad diet or a deep sense of unsettledness. There is no happy place to be found there.


In your stillness, you can reflect. You can refill. You can sort. You can simplify. You can learn. You can laugh. You can listen.
And like Jorja discovered today, sometimes we cannot contend with the other noises and we should just be quiet.




Comments

  1. Ah bless little Jorj. You should add the picture of her exhausted ears! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1