Skip to main content

The year 2011

I can still remember the hype around the turning of the milennium and I wonder how the years have flown by so quickly!

Suffice to say that our Festive Season was a relatively quiet experience for us, this year. And there were no complaints about it!

We celebrated our 4th Wedding Anniversary together, for starters! With P-J's hectic December schedule, that was a treat in itself! We also bid farewell to our visiting du Plessis family who returned to a snowy and cold Vermont just before Christmas eve.

On Christmas Day our families made a collaborate effort for lunch and we enjoyed tasty dishes prepared by the attendees! Now if ever I saw a good idea for mass meals with partial prepping! For afternoon tea we visited with the rest of our Geduld family and after a day of celebrating, we were tucked into bed by 22h00. (Strategic, of course, so that we will survive the rest of the season and the activities that it brings!)

I was fortunate to spend a week at home, with Jorja. Unfortunately P-J had to work for most of the week, but the rest from routine was definitely welcome and I discovered that Jorja has progressed to a bright and busy girl! If I got a lightbulb for every time I tidied up one of her tricks, our house would've been shining like the Adderley Street Christmas lights!

For New Years weekend, we travelled to Kagga Kama Private Game Reserve in the Cedarberg with the Klaasen and O'Ryan families. What a peaceful place - bar Jorja's shrieks in delight as she splashed in the water, chased the flies and scored tickles and cuddles from all of the company! What a wonderful way to celebrate this time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A home-made birthday

Due to the fact that we celebrated Jorja's birthday with the Weber and Wilcox families in the UK last year - over a few days and in various styles - we were a bit out of practice. In fact, if Jorja had not brought it to my attention with just two weeks to spare, I must confess that I would not have expected it to arrive for another few more weeks! But Moms could never let that seem to be the case, so we got cracking on 5th birthday celebration arrangements... On the night before, I set out every baking ingredient, apparatus and accessory that I could find and hoped that we would make it work! Aunty Robyn and Aunty Ilana arrived just in time to help us bake off the first round of vanilla cake pops and cookies with sprinkles. At this point, there was no turning back, our kitchen was already in a state of bake! The biscuit batch baked beautifully (and bountifully) and Jorja was well pleased with her assisted effort. As she head to bed on the eve of her birthday, I popped the...

That's so amazing about Grace

Scrolling through some photos this afternoon, I came across one of our friend Tarrin-Rae and her new baby girl, Isla, born last Thursday 31 October 2013. Isla Grace Graham I struggled to contain my own emotions as I observed this special moment in Tarrin's life (and new Isla's too) and thought back to my own experiences. I immediately asked Tarrin if I may use this to share a bit more of what I some times feel as a Mom... At first glance, I see relief . She's finally here! We can see her face in real life and we can say out loud "I am a Mommy!" Like my own kids, Isla was in no hurry to be born and labour was induced. What's worse than having to wait 40 weeks to meet your newest family member?? Having to wait longer still! I must confess, that this feeling was mixed with a fair dose of disbelief  on my part too - when I sat quietly resting between visitors and feeds, I had to pinch my literal self and realise - the baby was here. Then I see comfort ....

Day 1

We woke up with the sun Some self-isolated under the duvet  until well after 8am We mixed chocolate into breakfast oats And we lay out our best made plans We smiled, wondering if they would be implemented today or ever? By 9.30 we were driving on new roads On our return we forfeited stockpiling  For urgent bathroom breaks But when we arrived we enjoyed the sun from inside the parked car instead After lunch the devices rang non-stop Beep! Ring! Buzz! Mail! Chat!  Real time, ceaseless demand  All those unseen germs that we swipe left and right with our dominant hand and press to our cheeks Yikes  I start a grocery list I should start with food staples and emergency supplies  I write "chocolate"  I wonder how long the internet will last under this pressure Perhaps tomorrow I'll unplug it for a while, to rest It's only Day 1